In 2004, two associations in central Missouri merged their efforts to form one singular mission effort. Grand Crossings Baptist Association was birthed out of two historic sister associations; Audrain County and Callaway County Baptist Associations.
The name Grand Crossings was chosen due to two key reasons. First, many early Baptist settlers to this area including several prominent pastors, came from or through the Great Crossing Baptist Church in Scott County, Kentucky. James Suggett, prominent pastor from Providence Baptist Church, located in New Bloomfield, Callaway County, pastored that church before migrating to Missouri in the 1820's.
Noah Flood, another Kentucky native and prominent Missouri pastor, well known to all Baptist in Callaway and Audrain County, was present to help ordain William Morgan Jesse into pastoral ministry at Hopewell Baptist Church located at Thompson, Audrain County in 1842. Jesse, along with twelve other Baptist, had organized Hopewell Baptist Church, the first Baptist church in Audrain County in 1836.
The name Grand Crossings is a tribute to the past and honors those hardy pioneers who came to Missouri to pursue their dreams and to serve the Lord Jesus Christ.
The second reason for choosing the name deals with the formation of a cross made from two major highways that intersect the Association. Highway 54 which runs north and south, stretches from Holts Summit to Vandalia, a total distance of 76 miles. The other highway is Interstate 70 that runs east to west across the northern part of Callaway County and the southern part of Audrain. Millions of people travel these corridors each year beginning as far back as the early 1800s.
The name Grand Crossings recognizes the prominent place we occupy geographically in the state of Missouri and the volume of mission opportunities that come through our region every day.